Monday, May 25, 2009

Why do we watch a team that loses?

The Chicago Cubs have lost the last 7 games. Why do we continue to watch and support our team? The Cubs have been losing for a century and yet they are one of the teams in baseball that has consistent fans and the ball park is always full. Most teams even with a winning season, can barely fill half the park and the Cubs always need standing room. The Cubs have on average 40,000 fans a game and they still have that many fans even though they have lost the last 7 games. They stink and yet we still pay to watch. I am sitting at home watching the game tonight and seeing that they are winning for once, I am surprised, but do I expect a win, NO! Are you crazy, there is a slim chance that when you watch a Cubs game they are actually going to win. Even though over the past few years they have gone to the playoffs, they always seem to screw it up. I am one of those devoted Cubs fans, I have been since the day I was born. My grandparents have had season tickets for 20 years and they are still loyal and go to the games and they can still sell their tickets. People still want to watch the Cubs lose, and I am one of those people I just can not seem to understand why. The Cubs are also one of the only teams in the MLB that will have fans at every game no matter where the game is played. I think that with this bad economy people would be cutting back, but I have been to two games this year and the park is always filled and people are still buying food and souvenirs like always. 
Would you spend money to go watch a team lose in this economy?
Why do you think that people are still Cubs fans and will be forever even though they have not won a World Series in over a century?

1 comment:

Victoria E. said...

Jillian- I am questioning the exact same thing! I have to wonder but after thinking about it for a while I think that the thing is that we have faith that maybe, some day, they will have the infamous REDEMPTIVE arc! They will come from behind and do some ass kicking and win the World Series and shock everyone! It will be the classic story that everyone loves and that everyone is shocked by! It will happen and I think that another thing that makes us hang on to the idea that they will do well is because they are our HOME TEAM! That is my opinion!