Saturday, May 30, 2009

Lanuguages

Last night I was thinking about how cool it would be to speak a language fluently. My brother just got back from spending 6 months in Spain, and now is pretty much fluent in Spanish. I speak a little bit of French, Spanish, and Hebrew, but how cool would it be to be fluent in all three. My friends mom is a translator for the UN and I think that job would be so cool. She speaks like 12 different languages, and gets to travel all over the world. One of my goals in life would be to be fluent in at least one other language than English. After thinking about this yesterday, when I went to bed part of my dream was in Hebrew. I think that it is so cool if you think about that. Dreaming in another language? What does that mean? I also think that it is wierd that there are all these languages around the world, and there is not one person who can go everywhere in the world and know what everyone is saying. My brother who just got back from Barcelona, said that even in the city of Barcelona they had their own language that was completely different from Spanish. I was looking on my Facebook page, and I am friends with people from Israel and Australia, when I read what they wrote, it amazes me that people can be friends with people from other countries even if they don't always know what they are saying. Even though Australians speak English, it is not the same English that we speak, just like in England that is not the same Emglish that we speak. The world started out with only one language, or maybe no language at all, so how did all these different dialects come to be? It is mind boggling. How do some countries speak the same languages, yet they are so far away from each other, and some that are right next to each other speak completely different languages?
What is your opinion on language? Would you rather everyone in every country speak one language, or  be fluent in many languages?
Here is a link to all the different languages of the world: http://www.123world.com/languages/

1 comment:

Adam said...

I think a person's ability to speak more than one language makes them unique. Today, there are so many resources both online and in the classroom for people who are interested in learning new languages. I think knowing foreign languages opens up new social, financial, and cultural oppurtunites.